Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We need change!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jmat_86 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jmat_86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We need change!
    Posted: 10 February 2011 at 1:10am
I'm writing this post because of my disappointment with the state of the current generation of many brethren believers. I say this from the perspective of believer living in North America. However, I feel that all churches (throughout the world) need to take heed to what I'm about to say. I'm sure what I'm about to say has been told by others before. However, I feel we need these kind of reminders to keep ourselves in line with God's Word. Please feel free to share your thoughts regarding this topic.

Sometimes I think many in the Brethren community (just like any other denominations) are just like the Pharisees, claiming to know God's Word, but miserably failing to implement it in their own lives. In other words, they're spiritually blind. I look at my local brethren community and I can see one word which would perfectly describe it- COMPETITION (and not the healthy type). This happens everywhere. Politics within the churches, families focused mainly on competing against each other materialistically (topping each other to see who gets the most amount of mercedes and lexus in their driveways, who gets the bigger mansions, who can send all their kids for engineering or medicine) all for achieving a degree of elation and status among everyone and in the process spiritually gain nothing- absolute zero. While they're doing this, they sacrifice their personal holiness. They make their kids attend every church activity, but let them run wild during the rest of the week. Pathetic! Who is to blame? The parents and local assemblies are partly to be blamed for not mentoring and disciplining these kids. Conferences (with the good motive of spiritual edification for which they were initially started) have now  become a focus and a market for much more than that- socializing for the sake of marrying off their children. For people who attend such events, a followup questionnaire should be given to them of how they were edified from these events. This would reveal the real motives behind many who are going.
Local churches concentrate on taking sermons and studies regarding doctrine (I'm not saying doctrine is not important), but they neglect to deal with practical issues the young generation faces today. I believe if you ask many of them questions regarding simple topics (drugs, alcoholism, premarital relationships/sexual immorality), they would not be able to tell you what the Bible teaches regarding those things. They may just give basic answers which either support or condemn such activities, but many wouldn't be able to defend what they believe from God's Word.  I say this from my own experience. Parents and leaders of local assemblies must tackle this issue. There's no excuses for this like using foolish excuses "like western brethren kids are not exposed enough to the Indian culture, so that is why they behave in such a way." Indian culture has nothing to do with it. They need a culture which comes from God's Word. They need correcting and disciplining both by the families and churches.
 Its high time the brethren community wakes up. It needs a revival. If this doesn't change, if we keep disobeying God and remain ignorant, we are inviting His judgement and wrath up on us. Its sad and disappointing to hear my generation of youth going far from the Lord. This is the time, this is the grace period God has given to us to change. So let's do it. We need more accountability among believers within all the churches. Correction and discipline should be done and when required for believers, it should be done in a loving way and those who are at the receiving end of it must receive it with understanding. love and respect to those who correct them. Believers should not be tearing each other and trying to stomp each other to the ground. Start living life like Christ wants you to, not like the world wants you to.
 Post Reply Post Reply