Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

something to think about

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doghter_of_zion View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: something to think about
    Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:14pm

Dear beloved in Christ,

I was reading through some of the prior postings, threads started and and contunued, I find something that disturbs me a bit. I find the repeated usage of the terms like "we brethren", "against us brethrens",...

This is sounding as if we are some Christian denomination who calls ourselves(or have been named by others seeing the love between us) as brethrens. I prefer to call myself a Christian, rather be called a "brethren", "Methodist", "Marthomite",...

This really isn't right.  We are Christians who attend a "Christ centred" and "Bible beleiving" beleifs. We shouldn't give a name like that to us, as all born again Christians are brethren in Christ, our Lord!

isn't thats the reason why our assembly is named after the name of the place, as given in the Scriptures?

well,  let me quote what my wonderful brother in Christ taught me, about this. He stays in U.K. and is very strong in the Lord and has strong base in the Scriptures.

"Now I need to talk to you about your use of the word 'brethren'. The word 'brethren' should never be used as a title for one group of people only i.e. 'The Brethren'. In the New Testament this word is used of all believers - so, no one who is saved is any more 'one of the brethren' than any other believer. To take the word to ourselves and use it in an exclusive sense is to become sectarian, just like those who call themselves Baptists or Presbyterians. The name in which we gather is the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The assembly is 'the assembly of God in whatever place', not the 'Brethren assembly'! "
well, we need to think about this.
May the Lord bless you richly and help us to be conformed more to the image of our Lord, each day, abounding in love for each other.
God bless you,
Tinka

George P. Koshy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote George P. Koshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2006 at 11:49pm

Dear Tinka,

The word 'brethren' is used by the risen Lord in reference to their new relationship in Him who died and rose from the dead.  We read this in John 20.  When it is writen or said as "brethren," then it is indicative of that relationship and we should cherish it, because it is from the sweet lips of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

At the same time, we never see the word "Brethren" in the Word of God.  It is a name that is alien to the scriptures.  It is a name and not a relationship. 

Edited by George P. Koshy
Shalom malekim!!!
George P. Koshy

Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 12:09am

Dear bro Koshy,

then why do members of our assembly name us as "brethren" when talking to people fom other churches, like A.G., or Baptist, specially, if they disagree over doctrinal issues. We are Christians as much as they are(provided they are born again). So I disagree to this practice. Indeed we are all brothers and sisters in Him. I agree with you, but i dont with people who do as I had said.

thank you for being there and guiding us.

I really learnt a lot from your postings. I thank God for your ministry.

God bless you,

urs in HIM,

Tinka

sambudhanoor View Drop Down

Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 1:24am

Dear Sister Tinka

Why we are known as Brethrens?

(This is an answer I gave to the same subject in the Kerala Brethren site, sometime back).

AS per the New Testament, Children of God are known as "Christians", this is the correct name to be used.

In the same time Children of God are also called as:

1.         Saints

2.         Believers

3.         Disciples

4.         Brethren (Brothers) etc.

In the present world when we say a Christian he can be a nominal Christian, a catholic, orthodox etc.

Or evangelicals like Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists etc., are also having man appointed hierarchies to control the denomination.

There is no Brethren church, but Brethren Assemblies, brothers in Christ Jesus assembled are known as Brethren assembly. Brethren assemblies are independent, there is no man appointed hierarchies. Knowing Brethren is also distinguishes us from others in the doctrinal stand, which we follow.

Mat 23:8  But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your teacher, and all ye are brethren.

Eph 6:23  Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

God Bless You

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote George P. Koshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 3:15am

Dear 'doghter_of_zion,'

Those who are usually known as denominations have taken their own names other than, or in addition to, what was given by God.  What God gave us is in Acts 11:26 and that is "Christians."  In James 2:7 it is qualified as "the excellent name" by which we are called.

This name is all that is needed, but many prefer to have an additional name.  What can we do?   I do say, repeatedly, that I am not a member of any and prefer to be known by that excellent name by which my Father called me.

Shalom malekim!!!
George P. Koshy

Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 8:24pm

Dear bro Koshy,

thank you for clearing my doubts, but I once again would like to ask you then can we say, while arguing against suppose people from Charismatic groups a statement like this "you people always want to quarrel with us brethrens" or something like us. May be the person whom we are reffering to is also a true beleiver, but has wrongly interpreted the Scripture in certain respect.

Also do you agree with me that the gift of tongues have ceased or do you beleive with others like the "sincy_varghese" that

"it is an EVENT of the appearing of the Son of God. So the neuter genger 'which' is used to describe an EVENT of the fullness of comlete knowedge.
So it is interpreted as In the event of the apperaing of the Son of God or when HE appears we will know in full and when that time has come, .."

I haven't studied theology, though I really pray and hope to study it one day, but I can't understand how and what to tell to these people.

well, thanks a lot for all your help, and the postings. I want to go do the word study of Hell, that you taught, but I don't know how to approach it. I feel scared looking at the size, but anyways I'll do it. But do you have some suggestions or advices?

God bless you,

love ya in Christ Jesus,

Tinka

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote George P. Koshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 12:30am

Dear Tinka,

Many times the translators have used the word 'man' for the Greek words ANTHROPOS (= mankind, or this word could be used for both man and woman as a human race) and ANER (= male).  In 1 Corithians 11 we see both these Greek words and they are trranslated as ,man' without differentiating the meaning of the original Greek words.  The corresponding Greek word for female is GUNE and it stands in contrast to ANER and not ANTHROPOS.  This Greek word GUNE is translated as 'woman' or 'wife.'

Cessation of the gift of tongues is taught in 1 Cor. 13:11-12.  You may read this in detail in one of the threads in KeralBrethren.net.  May be its title is, "Speaking In Tongue Is Not A Sign Of The Baptism With The Holy Spirit."  I am not sure about this title.  If you can not find this, please lwet me know.

I ask you to read those postings, because it also contain the Pentecostal arguements (from Sunila Joseph and others) and how we answered them.

About your question on being referenced as 'brethren':  When the "b" is used, it stands for the relationship that our Lord Jesus Christ extended to us as we read in John 20, after He rose from the dead and speaking to Mary.  The problem comes when some try to change the relationship to a name by using cpital letter and call, "Brethren,"  which is not in the Word of God.  My response to them is, "Brethren, with all your faults, I love you still.  It was the Lord who made and called us brethren and we cannot deny that."

Edited by George P. Koshy
Shalom malekim!!!
George P. Koshy
John Miller View Drop Down

Quote John Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 4:31am
Dear brethren,

While I understand what fellow believers mean when they refer to "the assembly" in a certain place or places, I feel we have to very careful to preserve the truth that this expression in its true meaning does not refer to one gathering of christians. It includes every blood-bought believer in that place regardless of denomination or allegiance to any particular christian fellowship. It also includes those who do not attend a christian fellowship or group.

In the early days of the church, before outward divisions and public breakdown took place, there would have been one clearly identifiable gathering of people who could be definitively described as the Christian church. This is no longer the case and the error of some in claiming to be so puts them, sadly, on sectarian ground.

Your brother in Christ,

John

Edited by John Miller
John Miller

Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 8:32pm

Dear brethren in HIM,

What brother John has put down so nicely, was what I had wanted to say, but was unable, I guess. I was much grieved because of that, and also when I meet other Christians, who seem to label us as "brethrens", they see with their secterian outlook and they also think that we are kind of sects...

Well, I'm not sure if I've been able to express clearly what I wanted to say, but I hope I did.

urs in HIM,

Tinka

Post Reply Post Reply