Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is Apostasy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sambudhanoor View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 4:43pm

Dear Sister in Christ doghter_of_zion

Loving greetings to you in the precious Name of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Whoever come to Jesus Christ with the repented heart and confess his sins he will be saved, even if he was a person of apostasy. Only condition for salvation we can see from the scripture is  “ONE WHO BELIEVE”.

Joh 3:36  He who believes on the Son has everlasting life, and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides upon him.

Joh 5:24  Truly, truly, I say to you, He who hears My Word and believes on Him who sent Me has everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

Heb: 10-26-29 is mentioning about a person who is under the time of Apostasy.

As you said an atheist can become a true believer and pillar of faith, no doubt about that.

Rom 10:9-11  because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be put to shame.

God Bless you.

doghter_of_zion View Drop Down

Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 1:55am

Dear bro in Christ,

thank you for your answer, however I've something else that came to my mind yesterday, which I shall write in my next post.

plz bear with me till then,

God bless u

doghter_of_zion View Drop Down

Quote doghter_of_zion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 6:47pm

Dear unc & bro in Christ,

I have posted my answer in the General forum topic: are we of the same mind. I would appreciate if you take a look at it, and give your comments.

thanks for helping me out.

God bless u,

Tinka

davidchase View Drop Down

Quote davidchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 6:43pm
Dear Brother Sambhudhanoor,
This passage raises a difficult issue.
Apostacy is wilful rejection of Christ (denying that Christ is the saviour after having once accepted Him as the saviour) - for which one has to actually have recieved Christ in the beginning.
I submit that an unbeliever cannot wilfully reject Christ - how can he, if he has not recieved Him in the first place? Unbelievers are people who either by ignorance or by conscious choice have rejected Christ, and they are blinded (not enlightened), have not tasted of the heavenly gift or were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, have not tasted the good word of God and the powers of the world to come. It doesn't matter whether he is a fake believer or a head-knowledge believer who thinks he is a believer - they are both unbelievers, and cannot turn apostates!
On the other hand, a believer is enlightened, has tasted of the heavenly gift and was made partaker of the HOly Ghost, tasted the good word of God and the powers of the world to come. 
An apostate is one who was once enlightened and has fallen away. needs renewal again unto repentance -which is impossible according to the text in question.
I believe only a believer can reject Christ in the sense of the meaning of the term 'apostate'.  
warm christian greetings
David Chase

david chase

Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 7:01pm

Dear Bro. David Chase

Salvation/Eternal Life  is not earned by any work of the Human being, rather it is purely by God’s Grace alone, by the Grace of God we are getting ability to put our faith in our Lord and it will not loose by the work of a Human (Or God will not allow a true believer to reject the Eternal life he receives, it is Eternal and Secured in the Almighty God’s hand).

Eph 2:8 -9 For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God,   not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Rom 11:6  But if by grace, then it is no more of works; otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it is of works, then it is no more of grace; otherwise work is no more work.

Our Salvation is secured in our Lord’s Hand and in the Hand of God the Father:

Joh 10:27  My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Joh 10:28  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

Joh 10:29  My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

I request you please read the subject Security of Salvation/Saved one’s in the General forum which can seen in the following thread:

http://www.brethren.in/forum_new/forum_posts.asp?TID=4&PN=1

there are 5 pages.

From your above posting I understand that a believer has the freedom to reject the Eternal Life which he receives (Apostasy). What is the meaning of Eternal Life, if a believer can reject it as per his will, it cannot be said that it is Eternal Life rather it is Temporary Life, which has no basis in the Word of God.

Inheritance of Eternal Life if permanent and the person who receives is sealed by the Holy Spirit

Joh 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

When one person put his faith in our Lord Jesus Christ he/she receive the Eternal Redemption.

Yours in Christ.

davidchase View Drop Down

Quote davidchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 8:17pm
Dear Brother Sambudhanoor,
I notice that you have chosen to go on to the teaching on the security of salvation without commenting on the scriptural portion in question which talks about apostasy. The teaching on the subject of security of salvation is essential, but I was purely dealing with the question of apostasy in Hebrews 6:4-6. I look forward to your comments on what I have submitted on that issue.
warm christian greetings
David Chase
david chase
John Miller View Drop Down

Quote John Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2008 at 9:55pm
Dear brethren,

My understanding of one who is apostate is that having once professed to be a Christian and confessed the name of Christ, he subsequently publicly renounces the Christian faith. I would also understand that such a one had never truly received Christ in spite of what he may have professed.

Profession is one thing. Possession is something else.

Your brother in Christ,

John
John Miller

Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:10pm

Dear Bro. John Miller

Thank you for the comments, the same is my opinion also, God Bless you.

Yours in Christ.

Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:13pm

Dear Bro. David Chase

In the subject Security of Salvation, it has been produced a lot of Scriptural words to supports it. These Scriptural Words are the assurance of our Eternal Salvation and it never loose then, the question of apostasy by the recipient (true believer) never arise because it has been kept by our Almighty God, if the human beings are the custodian it might have loosed.

When one who put faith in Lord Jesus Christ he/she receives the Eternal Salvation/Eternal Inheritance/Eternal Redemption/Everlasting/Eternal Life etc.

Heb 5:9  And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Heb 9:15  And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Heb 9:12  Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

Joh 5:24  "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Joh 10:27  My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Joh 10:28  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

Contd………..

Quote sambudhanoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 12:16pm

When coming to the subject in discussion Hebrew 6: 4-6, I had been very well explained it with the support of Scriptural Words in the first page and I have nothing more to add in that.

But as a reference only I am posting some biblical scholars writing.

Following are the Comments from William Macdonald on Hebrew 6: 4-6

Hebrew 6:4   We come now to the heart of the warning against apostasy. It applies to a class of people whom it is impossible to restore again to repentance. Apparently these people had once repented (though no mention is made of their faith in Christ). Now it is clearly stated that a renewed repentance is impossible.

Who are these people? The answer is given in verses 4 and 5. In examining the great privileges which they enjoyed, it should be noticed that all these things could be true of the unsaved. It is never clearly stated that they had been born again. Neither is any mention made of such essentials as saving faith, redemption by His blood, or eternal life.

They had once been enlightened. They had heard the gospel of the grace of God. They were not in darkness concerning the way of salvation. Judas Iscariot had been enlightened but he rejected the light.

They tasted the heavenly gift. The Lord Jesus is the heavenly Gift. They had tasted of Him but had never received Him by a definite act of faith. It is possible to taste without eating or drinking. When men offered wine mixed with gall to Jesus on the cross, He tasted it but He would not drink it (Mat_27:34). It is not enough to taste Christ; unless we eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, that is, unless we truly receive Him as Lord and Savior, we have no life in us (Joh_6:53).

They had become partakers of the Holy Spirit. Before we jump to the conclusion that this necessarily implies conversion, we should remember that the Holy Spirit carries on a pre-conversion ministry in men's lives. He sanctifies unbelievers (1Co_7:14), putting them in a position of external privilege. He convicts unbelievers of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment (Joh_16:8). He leads men to repentance and points them to Christ as their only hope. Men may thus partake of the Holy Spirit's benefits without being indwelt by Him.

Hebrew 6:5   They had tasted the good word of God. As they heard the gospel preached, they were strangely moved and drawn to it. They were like the seed that fell on rocky ground; they heard the word and immediately received it with joy, but they had no root in themselves. They endured for a while, but when tribulation or persecution arose on account of the word, they promptly fell away (Mat_13:20-21).

They had tasted the powers of the age to come. Powers here means “miracles.” The age to come is the Millennial Age, the coming era of peace and prosperity when Christ will reign over the earth for one thousand years. The miracles which accompanied the preaching of the gospel in the early days of the church (Heb_2:4) were a foretaste of signs and wonders which will be performed in Christ's kingdom. These people had witnessed these miracles in the first century, in fact, they might have participated in them. Take, for instance, the miracles of the loaves and fishes. After Jesus had fed the five thousand, the people followed Him to the other side of the sea. The Savior realized that, though they had tasted a miracle, they did not really believe in Him. He said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled” (Joh_6:26).

Hebrew 6:6   If they fall away, after enjoying the privileges just enumerated, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance. They have committed the sin of apostasy. They have reached the place where the lights go out on the way to hell.

The enormous guilt of apostates is indicated in the words since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame (v. 6b). This signifies a deliberate, malicious spurning of Christ, not just a careless disregard of Him. It indicates a positive betrayal of Him, a joining of forces against Him, and a ridiculing of His Person and work.

Comments from Scofield reference Notes:

Heb 6:4 -8

impossible

(Heb_6:4-8) presents the case of Jewish professed believers who halt short of faith in Christ after advancing to the very threshold of salvation, even "going along with" the Holy Spirit in His work of enlightenment and conviction. (Joh_16:8-10). It is not said that they had faith. This supposed person is like the spies at Kadesh-barnea (Deu_1:19-26) who saw the land and had the very fruit of it in their hands, and yet turned back.”(End of Quote).

Yours in Christ

Samkutty N. George.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>