Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pirating Software, Music, books, CDs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
paulsmathew View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote paulsmathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2008 at 7:11pm
also the online bible gives you the niv version when you are on the world wide web.
George P. Koshy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote George P. Koshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 10:37pm
Dear Paul S. Mathew,

I found that I could purchase a copy of NIV of the Bible for less than $5/- in USA.  It may not be leather bound and gold trimmed.  It is not costly, by any standard - even in India.

Why do you want NIV, only?  If $5/- is too much, you could get KJV for less than $4/-.  why not buy a version that the person could afford?

Let me tell an incident in my life about the Bible.  One Sunday, before the breaking of bread, while chatting with a couple, I was told they would like to have the latest Malyalam Bible.  On inquiring, I was told that it is slim and beautifully bound.  I asked about the one they were using.  The reply was that they want a new one that is slim and they expected me to buy it for them.  I didn't.

You have also made sure that the Book manufacturers are the problem for the high cost.  They may be or may not be.  They produce many translations at many price levels.  Many of us who find that the cell phone is an essential gadget of our life, find an excuse of price not to buy a Bible that could be used for years.  But they could afford cell phone, sometimes more than one for the same person, with monthly service fee.

I also understand that you have a real concern about the price of Bible being high for some people.  Since this burden is coming from within you, you must do something about it.  God may be telling you something for you to do.  That something is not complaining about Bible manufactureres.  That is what the world does.  As a Christian, if God gave you a burden, then you must act on it.  Why don't you start doing that?  At least help a few people who cannot afford the costly Bibles.    
Shalom malekim!!!
George P. Koshy
Shalom malekim!!!
George P. Koshy
paulsmathew View Drop Down

Quote paulsmathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 7:13pm
dear brother george
i am yet to find a NIV bible less than 5$ in india.. KJV BIBLE can be obtained even free in india.
its not the gold lining that matters at all as it doesnt provide logevity or stay itself for long brother.
even hard back cover bibles last quite long. and moreover it depends how its handled irrespective of what its made of.
coming back to the same issue once again which you raised previously as well is about the desire of the people to buy worldly material things irrespective of its cost. then why not have the same desire to buy the bible.
you are in no doubt correct in what you say.
but as i said previously the people i'm talking about is not the middle class or something.
let me tell the place where now i live a daily wage labourer earns only 50 Rs a day that too dependin on the availabily of work in a month. if its a women only 30 Rs.Smilewith a family to be fed clothed and if possible barely get educated.
sicknes by all means  is a disaster for the financial status of the family.
if i am to ask a school going boy of this family who is learnin english to buy a bible that is 5$ arond 200Rs. do you think he falls in the category of what you mentioned.
a large majority in india are still in this category.
what you were talking about is of only one particular group which you seem to be seeing in your setting. but thats only a small bit of the story. and this is what is the status in many african and latin americn nations.
so how do we say that this bible is cheap.
i have no special liking for NIV. it has many errors in itself which you are also aware of i guess.
my attack is also not on any particular publishing house.
because many are doing the same. its becoming a business.
but by taking an example of NIV i hae only tried to bring to the attention many such christian publishing or music products which are apparently for spiritual edification. but by no means can reach those who have no financial resources.
so please dont see it only in relation to Niv alone. its just to convey a greater message.
yes, that is a good sugestion that i do something about it. yes, if the Lord leads me to this end i will.. thanks for that.
maybe you too can be my prayer partner in reaching this end brother..
anyway thanks for your patience and comments
God bless you.Smile

Edited by paulsmathew - 19 January 2008 at 7:22pm
drk View Drop Down

Quote drk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 11:50pm

Piracy by believers is indeed a major problem. Most of them indulge due to ignorance which is, of course, not an excuse. Taking photocopy of textbooks, cd ripping, software piracy (most abused softwares are MS Office and Windows) are just a few examples.  

May I submit the following remedies:

1. Believers must be taught. Brethren who are knowledgeable may give a talk in their assemblies.   

2. Alternative open ended software should be introduced. (eg. Sun OpenOffice)

3. Believers should be encouraged to buy softwares. (eg. Windows) Some can be shared among the assembly members. For example Kaspersky comes with a 3 PC CDs.

4. Pitfalls in assembled  PCs must be highlighted. (Though one can still go for genuine software with these PCs).

5. Cheap Indian Edition textbooks can be bought or still books can be borrowed from the libraries.

6. mp3 downloads should be discouraged. Believers must be willing pay for what they enjoy. In the world of rapidshare and the like we should be watchful. 

7. eSword and TheWord maybe introduced. Believers maybe tutored. 

I am sure that these tips might help. May we glorify the Lord in everything that we do. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345