Pirating Software, Music, books, CDs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
drjcp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drjcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirating Software, Music, books, CDs
    Posted: 03 July 2007 at 5:21pm
In the recent months many young people told me that as many as 95% of the "born again" crowd indulges in pirated software, music, CDs and other stuff.

They offered various kinds of reasons and justifications for doing so. I am a bit inquisitive about all this. My question is,

"Is there any situation in which pirating software, music, CDs, and other such copyrighted items justified"

Johnson C. Philip
www.ApologeticsCourses.Com
www.BiblicalArcheology.net
nelnob1 View Drop Down

Quote nelnob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2007 at 4:28pm

Dear dr.JCP

You have opened a subject where we all believers are involved in one or other way, for example we get an audiocassette, we feel good ,and we copy in a new audio cassette purchased, in our own taperecorder, this is the usual practice which is happening till now, ok when it comes to cinema producers , they are the investors and they want to get thier returns, which we as beleivers to a limit are not concerned. A lot of MP3 audios are available and easy to write it other CD's or download it to the PC, if the manufacturers have an intentions not to be copied , they should provide the codes and unless purchased cannot use thier product.

Yours in Christ

Samuel.V.J

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever
drjcp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote drjcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2007 at 5:18pm
Dear brother,

two things

1. You said <<all believers are involved in one or other way>>. This is not right. I know at least some believers who do not do this.

2. The main question is, can anyone of us justify pirating of software and other copyrighted material.

Johnson C. Philip
www.Sarathi.info
nelnob1 View Drop Down

Quote nelnob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 1:22am

Dear brother Johnson,

This particular word piracy has come into hearing loud for the last couple of years not more than five years  when the commercial film producers when they seem to have a financial loss started tracing the problems, where they found out the pirated materials are sold in market, but as I mentioned before a audio cassette which can be copied in its original quality in a taperecord, is the same when you tape a song in the cassette which is coming through radio through air.Do we need any permission to record.

Yours in Christ

Samuel.V.J

drjcp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote drjcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 1:43am
This particular word piracy has come into hearing loud for the last couple of years not more than five years 

*** The word came into use in the electronic world much before that. It is at least as old as photo-offset presses, when pirated copies of books were printed.

when the commercial film producers when they seem to have a financial loss started tracing the problems, where they found out the pirated materials are sold in market,

*** Obviously, if a person produces something for a living, others are not supposed to steal it. Much less Christian believers.

but as I mentioned before a audio cassette which can be copied in its original quality in a taperecord, is the same when you tape a song in the cassette which is coming through radio through air.Do we need any permission to record.

*** Yes, anything that is copyrighted needs permission for copying. Without such permission it is illegal to make a copy. (The only exception is copying a portion of a work for an academic research).

Johnson C. Philip

Edited by drjcp
nelnob1 View Drop Down

Quote nelnob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 2:16am

Dear Dr.Johnson,

What I want to state this term was no so serious until the financial losses started to be felt by the investors, we do take a copy of a book, which is the right of the publisher, and the songs which comes through air, doesnt have a warning that this or that should not be copied, whereas cassettes and other material clearly states about copyright warnings. How can we justify that?

Yours in Christ

Samuel.V.J

drjcp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote drjcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 3:19am
Dear Brother

according to copyright laws worldwide (except in countries that encourage crime), any item created by any person is copyrighted. There is NO need for any kind of declaration that it is copyrighted. 

In India the punishment for copyright violation is a combination of imprisonment and fine. Absence of a copyright notice does not offer any kind of immunity from such punishment.

Thus a believer should copy only those things which are clearly labeled as copy-free by the author or copyright holder.

Johnson C. Philip
nelnob1 View Drop Down

Quote nelnob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 12:24am

Dear br.Johnson,

Whats the main motto of cassette or book bieng made or published respectively. For selling and get a revenue out of it. Dear brother the part of world where I live now everyweek some or other christian cassette come into the desk for sale, irrespective who is the singer, who is the producer, what are the songs in the cassttee, I do purchase the cassette or the CD and do support and encourage  them , which many a times are not worth listening, which I do is a legal purchasing, and this cassette or CD many a times passed on to several hands from me to hear which again will never fulfill the task for why the cassette has been produced.I have purchased it , I am not copying it , and I am giving it to any known friend for him to hear.He again gives to someone else. This cassette is not pirated but legal and heard by many. How we can justify it.

Yours in Christ

Samuel.V.J 

drjcp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote drjcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 3:07am
Dear brother, I appreciate that you purchase these cassettes. Passing the original to others is NOT a copyright violation. You can pass it to a thousand people and if all of them sequentially listen from the original only, without making copies, there is no copyright violation. It is totally legal.

Johnson C. Philip
nelnob1 View Drop Down

Quote nelnob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 3:21pm

Dear Dr.Johnson in Christ,

Then dear brother, if I Purchase and the original is heard by 1000 other listeners, will the purpose of the producer be fulfilled, might be a dozen of cassettes will be listened by 100's. Some of those dear ones who come with a CD or cassette to our place sells it for a fixed price which surely more than double the cost of India, some doesnt mention a particular rate and says whatever you feel you can give or donate, this goes for soem particular ministry, and usually supported whole heartedly, some dear ones come with thier original CD purchase 1000 of empty CD's from the place they arrive at peanuts rate, write it down through some friends writer, and sell it at a fixed rate. Can it be justified. The original owner does this.

Yours in Christ

Samuel.V.J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>